Sunday, September 20, 2009

Weekend in Review

A lot has happened since Wednesday!

On Thursday morning, I went with some classmates to La Alameda, an organization for workers against slave labor. They do a lot of anti-sweatshop activism and provide resources for workers. They have their own library, a comedor, a communal eating hall, classes to inform workers of their rights, classes for workers and their children in ceramics to teach them a skill, and their own little factory making shirts and bags. I learned so much at the visit, and really enjoyed myself. Most interesting for me was our guide's use of the term "victim." La Alameda provides many workers with hidden cameras so that they can document their mistreatment in the sweat shops. I usually do not like using the word victim, as its connotations can rob people of their agency. When I asked her about this, her explanation of some of the horrible working conditions made me realize that these workers are victims in a global system of slave labor. For more information and to see their products: http://www.mundoalameda.com.ar/

On Friday, after a day of Spanish class and our last class of Argentine history (so much information- terrorismo de estado, Menem, the crisis of 2001! in two hours), Jamila and I made a trek to satisfy one of our cravings- spicy burritos. We took a subway to the microcentro to California Burrito Company, a small chain like Chipotle with burritos, tacos, salads. We picked the most spicy sauce, which, unfortunately, was not very spicy at all. However, it was a much needed snack and very delicious. I spent the evening playing with Rocío, my host granddaughter, and went to Club Araoz for reggaeton night. I could only make it to 4:30 am!

Yesterday was more of a lazy day full of wonderful and interesting conversations with my host mother, Elvira. In the evening I went to the house of my friends Michelle and Denise Frenkel for a Rosh Hashana dinner. The apartment was filled with family and so much food! One of their grandparents is of Syrian descent, so they practiced a lot of Sephardic traditions, which were new to me. We ate candied squash, dates, beans, a tortille (omelette) of leek and one of spinach, each having different meanings (I don't exactly remember, but something about having no enemies in the upcoming year, prosperity, etc.) The food was delicious and I had a really nice time.

Today Jamila and I went to San Telmo, a bohemian area famous for its antique fairs on Sundays. It was really cool, with all sorts of things from old seltzer bottles, jewelry, leather, original artwork, old telephones, street signs, buttons, etc. If you are interested in antiques, please let me know if there is something I should try to pick up for you.

Tomorrow we are off to work at a school outside of the city, making crafts in honor of the first day of Spring tomorrow. Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment